Photo of Main Street Highlands 1942
Highlands Playhouse is the oldest continually-operating live theatre in North Carolina. In the summer of 1938, a group of Highlanders presented a play for one performance in the Playhouse building. This production was “Dulcy”, a comedy by George S. Kaufman and Marc Connelly. Encouraged by the audience’s reception, the group formed the non-profit Highlands Community Theatre, Inc. The theatre itself was built in 1931 as an auditorium for the Highlands School. When the present Highlands School was opened in 1952, the Town of Highlands acquired the auditorium building. Every summer since 1938, with the exception of two years during World War II, there has been a season of plays here at the Playhouse.